Guillermo Tearney, M.D., Ph.D.
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Mass General Research Institute
Professor of Pathology
Harvard Medical School
Remondi Family Endowed MGH Research Institute Chair
Mass General Research Institute, Massachusetts General Hospital
Mike and Sue Hazard Family MGH Research Scholar (2012-2017)
Mass General Research Institute, Massachusetts General Hospital
|MD Harvard Medical School 1998|
|PhD Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1997|
Guillermo (Gary) Tearney MD, PhD, is the Remondi Family Foundation Endowed MGH Research Institute Chair, Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School, an Affiliated Faculty member of the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology (HST) and maintains his lab at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Prof. Tearney received his MD magna cum laude from Harvard Medical School and received his PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology (ACC), College of American Pathologists (CAP), National Academy of Engineering (NAI), Optical Society of America (OSA), and the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE).
Prof. Tearney’s research interests are focused on the development and clinical validation of non-invasive, high-resolution optical imaging methods for human disease diagnosis. His lab was the first to perform human imaging in the coronary arteries and gastrointestinal tract in vivo with Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT), which provides cross-sectional images of tissue architectural microstructure at a resolution of 10 µm. He has also conducted many of the seminal studies validating OCT and is considered an expert on OCT image interpretation. Recently, Prof. Tearney’s lab has invented a next generation OCT technology, termed µOCT, which has a resolution of 1 µm and is capable of imaging cells and subcellular structures in the body.
Prof. Tearney has also developed several other technologies, including a confocal endomicroscope capable of imaging whole organs at the cellular level, swallowable microscopes that traverse and image the entire gastrointestinal tract, the world’s smallest endoscope, a microscope capable of imaging at the nanoscale, and novel spectroscopy and multimodality chemical/molecular imaging techniques.
He is co-editor of The Handbook of Optical Coherence Tomography and has written over 250 peer-reviewed publications, including papers that have been highlighted on the covers of Science, Nature Medicine, Circulation, Gastroenterology, and Journal of American College of Cardiology. Prof. Tearney also has over 100 granted US patents, resulting in several commercial medical devices. In addition, He was recently named one of the nation’s Top Translational Researchers by Nature Biotechnology and his capsule device was highlighted as one of MIT Technology Review’s 10 Breakthrough Technologies in 2019.
Prof. Tearney’s work extends beyond his laboratory at MGH, many of his technologies are being produced commercially: He is the vice-chair of the Research Advisory Board for the Institute for Aging Research, member of the Scientific Advisory Board for Massachusetts Life Sciences Center, the Clinical Advisory Board for NinePoint Medical, Chair of the College of American Pathologists In Vivo Microscopy Committee, and he has founded and co-chairs the International Working Group on Intravascular OCT Standardization and Validation, a group that is dedicated to establishing standards to ensure the widespread adoption of this imaging technology.
- Zeidan, A., D. Do, D. Kang, M. Ikuta, J. Ryu, and G.J. Tearney, High-Resolution, Wide-Field, Forward-Viewing Spectrally Encoded Endoscope. Lasers Surg Med, 2019.
- Wells, W.A., M. Thrall, A. Sorokina, J. Fine, S. Krishnamurthy, A. Haroon, B. Rao, M.M. Shevchuk, H.C. Wolfsen, G.J. Tearney, and L.P. Hariri, In Vivo and Ex Vivo Microscopy: Moving Toward the Integration of Optical Imaging Technologies Into Pathology Practice. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2019. 143(3): p. 288-298.
- Wells, W.A., M.T. Harhen, M.J. Thrall, M.M. Shevchuk, G.J. Tearney, and L.P. Hariri, In Vivo and Ex Vivo Microscopy: A Business Plan to Justify the Introduction of Similar Emerging Technologies Into Pathology Practice. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2019. 143(3): p. 299-304.
- Nishimiya, K., B. Yin, Z. Piao, J. Ryu, H. Osman, H.M. Leung, G. Sharma, C.P. Liang, J.A. Gardecki, H. Zheng, H. Shimokawa, and G.J. Tearney, Micro-Optical Coherence Tomography for Endothelial Cell Visualization in the Coronary Arteries. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging, 2019.
- Mathur, S.C., M. Fitzmaurice, N.P. Reder, S. Krishnamurthy, M. Kennedy, G.J. Tearney, and M.M. Shevchuk-Chaban, Development of Functional Requirements for Ex Vivo Pathology Applications of In Vivo Microscopy System: A Proposal From the In Vivo Microscopy Committee of the College of American Pathologists. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2019.
- Liang, C.P., J. Dong, T. Ford, R. Reddy, H. Hosseiny, H. Farrokhi, M. Beatty, K. Singh, H. Osman, B. Vuong, G. Baldwin, C. Grant, S. Giddings, M.J. Gora, M. Rosenberg, N. Nishioka, and G. Tearney, Optical coherence tomography-guided laser marking with tethered capsule endomicroscopy in unsedated patients. Biomed Opt Express, 2019. 10(3): p. 1207-1222.
- Levink, I.J.M., H.C. Wolfsen, P.D. Siersema, M.B. Wallace, and G.J. Tearney, Measuring Barrett's Epithelial Thickness with Volumetric Laser Endomicroscopy as a Biomarker to Guide Treatment. Dig Dis Sci, 2019. 64(6): p. 1579-1587.
- Kang, D., D. Do, J. Ryu, C.N. Grant, S.L. Giddings, M. Rosenberg, P.E. Hesterberg, Q. Yuan, J.J. Garber, A.J. Katz, and G.J. Tearney, A miniaturized, tethered, spectrally-encoded confocal endomicroscopy capsule. Lasers Surg Med, 2019.
- Gardecki, J.A., K. Singh, C.L. Wu, and G.J. Tearney, Imaging the Human Prostate Gland Using 1-mum-Resolution Optical Coherence Tomography. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2019. 143(3): p. 314-318.
- Fernandez-Petty, C.M., G.W. Hughes, H.L. Bowers, J.D. Watson, B.H. Rosen, S.M. Townsend, C. Santos, C.E. Ridley, K.K. Chu, S.E. Birket, Y. Li, H.M. Leung, M. Mazur, B.A. Garcia, T.I.A. Evans, E.F. Libby, H. Hathorne, J. Hanes, G.J. Tearney, J.P. Clancy, J.F. Engelhardt, W.E. Swords, D.J. Thornton, W.P. Wiesmann, S.M. Baker, and S.M. Rowe, A glycopolymer improves vascoelasticity and mucociliary transport of abnormal cystic fibrosis mucus. JCI Insight, 2019. 4(8).
- Cho, D.Y., D. Skinner, C. Mackey, H.B. Lampkin, J.B. Elder, D.J. Lim, S. Zhang, J. McCormick, G.J. Tearney, S.M. Rowe, and B.A. Woodworth, Herbal dry extract BNO 1011 improves clinical and mucociliary parameters in a rabbit model of chronic rhinosinusitis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol, 2019. 9(6): p. 629-637.
- Trindade, A.J., S. Inamdar, M.S. Smith, L. Rosen, D. Han, K.J. Chang, C.L. Leggett, C.J. Lightdale, D.K. Pleskow, D.V. Sejpal, G.J. Tearney, R.M. Thomas, and M.B. Wallace, Learning curve and competence for volumetric laser endomicroscopy in Barrett's esophagus using cumulative sum analysis. Endoscopy, 2018. 50(5): p. 471-478.
- Tearney, G.J., Intravascular optical coherence tomography. Eur Heart J, 2018. 39(41): p. 3685-3686.
- Tao, W., X. Ji, X. Zhu, L. Li, J. Wang, Y. Zhang, P.E. Saw, W. Li, N. Kong, M.A. Islam, T. Gan, X. Zeng, H. Zhang, M. Mahmoudi, G.J. Tearney, and O.C. Farokhzad, Two-Dimensional Antimonene-Based Photonic Nanomedicine for Cancer Theranostics. Adv Mater, 2018. 30(38): p. e1802061.
- Tabatabaei, N., D. Kang, M. Kim, T. Wu, C.N. Grant, M. Rosenberg, N.S. Nishioka, P.E. Hesterberg, J. Garber, Q. Yuan, A.J. Katz, and G.J. Tearney, Clinical Translation of Tethered Confocal Microscopy Capsule for Unsedated Diagnosis of Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Sci Rep, 2018. 8(1): p. 2631.
- Singh, K., R. Reddy, G. Sharma, Y. Verma, J.A. Gardecki, and G. Tearney, In-line optical fiber metallic mirror reflector for monolithic common path optical coherence tomography probes. Lasers Surg Med, 2018. 50(3): p. 230-235.
- Otuya, D.O., Y. Verma, H. Farrokhi, L. Higgins, M. Rosenberg, C. Damman, and G.J. Tearney, Non-endoscopic biopsy techniques: a review. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2018. 12(2): p. 109-117.
- Montoro, D.T., A.L. Haber, M. Biton, V. Vinarsky, B. Lin, S.E. Birket, F. Yuan, S. Chen, H.M. Leung, J. Villoria, N. Rogel, G. Burgin, A.M. Tsankov, A. Waghray, M. Slyper, J. Waldman, L. Nguyen, D. Dionne, O. Rozenblatt-Rosen, P.R. Tata, H. Mou, M. Shivaraju, H. Bihler, M. Mense, G.J. Tearney, S.M. Rowe, J.F. Engelhardt, A. Regev, and J. Rajagopal, A revised airway epithelial hierarchy includes CFTR-expressing ionocytes. Nature, 2018. 560(7718): p. 319-324.
- Kunio, M., C.C. O'Brien, A.C. Lopes, Jr., L. Bailey, P.A. Lemos, G.J. Tearney, and E.R. Edelman, Vessel centerline reconstruction from non-isocentric and non-orthogonal paired monoplane angiographic images. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging, 2018. 34(5): p. 673-682.
- Ikuta, M., D. Kang, D. Do, A. Zeidan, and G.J. Tearney, Single-beam spectrally encoded color imaging. Opt Lett, 2018. 43(10): p. 2229-2232.
- Hancock, L.A., C.E. Hennessy, G.M. Solomon, E. Dobrinskikh, A. Estrella, N. Hara, D.B. Hill, W.J. Kissner, M.R. Markovetz, D.E. Grove Villalon, M.E. Voss, G.J. Tearney, K.S. Carroll, Y. Shi, M.I. Schwarz, W.R. Thelin, S.M. Rowe, I.V. Yang, C.M. Evans, and D.A. Schwartz, Muc5b overexpression causes mucociliary dysfunction and enhances lung fibrosis in mice. Nat Commun, 2018. 9(1): p. 5363.
- Gora, M.J., L. Queneherve, R.W. Carruth, W. Lu, M. Rosenberg, J.S. Sauk, A. Fasano, G.Y. Lauwers, N.S. Nishioka, and G.J. Tearney, Tethered capsule endomicroscopy for microscopic imaging of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum without sedation in humans (with video). Gastrointest Endosc, 2018. 88(5): p. 830-840 e3.
- Freeman, E.E., A. Semeere, H. Osman, G. Peterson, M. Rajadhyaksha, S. Gonzalez, J.N. Martin, R.R. Anderson, G.J. Tearney, and D. Kang, Smartphone confocal microscopy for imaging cellular structures in human skin in vivo. Biomed Opt Express, 2018. 9(4): p. 1906-1915.
- Birket, S.E., J.M. Davis, C.M. Fernandez, K.L. Tuggle, A.M. Oden, K.K. Chu, G.J. Tearney, M.V. Fanucchi, E.J. Sorscher, and S.M. Rowe, Development of an airway mucus defect in the cystic fibrosis rat. JCI Insight, 2018. 3(1).
- Yonker, L.M., M.A. Pazos, B.B. Lanter, H. Mou, K.K. Chu, A.D. Eaton, J.V. Bonventre, G.J. Tearney, J. Rajagopal, and B.P. Hurley, Neutrophil-Derived Cytosolic PLA2alpha Contributes to Bacterial-Induced Neutrophil Transepithelial Migration. J Immunol, 2017. 199(8): p. 2873-2884.
- Yonker, L.M., H. Mou, K.K. Chu, M.A. Pazos, H. Leung, D. Cui, J. Ryu, R.M. Hibbler, A.D. Eaton, T.N. Ford, J.R. Falck, T.B. Kinane, G.J. Tearney, J. Rajagopal, and B.P. Hurley, Development of a Primary Human Co-Culture Model of Inflamed Airway Mucosa. Sci Rep, 2017. 7(1): p. 8182.
- Yin, B., C. Hyun, J.A. Gardecki, and G.J. Tearney, Extended depth of focus for coherence-based cellular imaging. Optica, 2017. 4(8): p. 959-965.
- Trindade, A.J., S. Inamdar, M.S. Smith, K.J. Chang, C.L. Leggett, C.J. Lightdale, D.K. Pleskow, D.V. Sejpal, G.J. Tearney, R.M. Thomas, and M.B. Wallace, Volumetric laser endomicroscopy in Barrett's esophagus: interobserver agreement for interpretation of Barrett's esophagus and associated neoplasia among high-frequency users. Gastrointest Endosc, 2017. 86(1): p. 133-139.
- Tipirneni, K.E., J.W. Grayson, S. Zhang, D.Y. Cho, D.F. Skinner, D.J. Lim, C. Mackey, G.J. Tearney, S.M. Rowe, and B.A. Woodworth, Assessment of acquired mucociliary clearance defects using micro-optical coherence tomography. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol, 2017. 7(9): p. 920-925.
- Thompson, A.J., M. Hughes, S. Anastasova, L.S. Conklin, T. Thomas, C. Leggett, W.A. Faubion, T.J. Miller, P. Delaney, F. Lacombe, S. Loiseau, A. Meining, R. Richards-Kortum, G.J. Tearney, P. Kelly, and G.Z. Yang, Position paper: The potential role of optical biopsy in the study and diagnosis of environmental enteric dysfunction. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2017. 14(12): p. 727-738.
- Swager, A.F., G.J. Tearney, C.L. Leggett, M.G.H. van Oijen, S.L. Meijer, B.L. Weusten, W.L. Curvers, and J. Bergman, Identification of volumetric laser endomicroscopy features predictive for early neoplasia in Barrett's esophagus using high-quality histological correlation. Gastrointest Endosc, 2017. 85(5): p. 918-926 e7.
- Solomon, G.M., R. Francis, K.K. Chu, S.E. Birket, G. Gabriel, J.E. Trombley, K.L. Lemke, N. Klena, B. Turner, G.J. Tearney, C.W. Lo, and S.M. Rowe, Assessment of ciliary phenotype in primary ciliary dyskinesia by micro-optical coherence tomography. JCI Insight, 2017. 2(5): p. e91702.
- Singh, K., D. Yamada, and G. Tearney, Astigmatism corrected common path probe for optical coherence tomography. Lasers Surg Med, 2017. 49(3): p. 312-318.
- Raju, S.V., V.Y. Lin, L. Liu, C.M. McNicholas, S. Karki, P.A. Sloane, L. Tang, P.L. Jackson, W. Wang, L. Wilson, K.J. Macon, M. Mazur, J.C. Kappes, L.J. DeLucas, S. Barnes, K. Kirk, G.J. Tearney, and S.M. Rowe, The Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Potentiator Ivacaftor Augments Mucociliary Clearance Abrogating Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Inhibition by Cigarette Smoke. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, 2017. 56(1): p. 99-108.
- Kang, D., S.C. Schlachter, R.W. Carruth, M. Kim, T. Wu, N. Tabatabaei, A.R. Soomro, C.N. Grant, M. Rosenberg, N.S. Nishioka, and G.J. Tearney, Large-area spectrally encoded confocal endomicroscopy of the human esophagus in vivo. Lasers Surg Med, 2017. 49(3): p. 233-239.
- Hara, T., G.J. Ughi, J.R. McCarthy, S.S. Erdem, A. Mauskapf, S.C. Lyon, A.M. Fard, E.R. Edelman, G.J. Tearney, and F.A. Jaffer, Intravascular fibrin molecular imaging improves the detection of unhealed stents assessed by optical coherence tomography in vivo. Eur Heart J, 2017. 38(6): p. 447-455.
- Guedes, A.G.P., C.C. Tearney, A. Cenani, F. Aristizabal, and J. Nieto, Comparison between the effects of postanesthetic xylazine and dexmedetomidine on characteristics of recovery from sevoflurane anesthesia in horses. Vet Anaesth Analg, 2017. 44(2): p. 273-280.
- Gora, M.J., M.J. Suter, G.J. Tearney, and X. Li, Endoscopic optical coherence tomography: technologies and clinical applications [Invited]. Biomed Opt Express, 2017. 8(5): p. 2405-2444.
- Cui, D., K.K. Chu, B. Yin, T.N. Ford, C. Hyun, H.M. Leung, J.A. Gardecki, G.M. Solomon, S.E. Birket, L. Liu, S.M. Rowe, and G.J. Tearney, Flexible, high-resolution micro-optical coherence tomography endobronchial probe toward in vivo imaging of cilia. Opt Lett, 2017. 42(4): p. 867-870.
- Chu, K.K., M.E. Kusek, L. Liu, A. Som, L.M. Yonker, H. Leung, D. Cui, J. Ryu, A.D. Eaton, G.J. Tearney, and B.P. Hurley, Illuminating dynamic neutrophil trans-epithelial migration with micro-optical coherence tomography. Sci Rep, 2017. 8: p. 45789.
- Cho, D.Y., C. Mackey, W.J. Van Der Pol, D. Skinner, C.D. Morrow, T.R. Schoeb, S.M. Rowe, W.E. Swords, G.J. Tearney, and B.A. Woodworth, Sinus Microanatomy and Microbiota in a Rabbit Model of Rhinosinusitis. Front Cell Infect Microbiol, 2017. 7: p. 540.
- Cetran, L., F. Casassus, G.J. Tearney, B. Seguy, P. Poustis, P. Coste, and E. Gerbaud, Minimalist immediate mechanical intervention approach in the management of an acute proximal left anterior descending artery occlusion with extensive thrombus burden in the left main coronary artery. Minerva Cardioangiol, 2017. 65(1): p. 102-105.
- Bourantas, C.V., F.A. Jaffer, F.J. Gijsen, G. van Soest, S.P. Madden, B.K. Courtney, A.M. Fard, E. Tenekecioglu, Y. Zeng, A.F.W. van der Steen, S. Emelianov, J. Muller, P.H. Stone, L. Marcu, G.J. Tearney, and P.W. Serruys, Hybrid intravascular imaging: recent advances, technical considerations, and current applications in the study of plaque pathophysiology. Eur Heart J, 2017. 38(6): p. 400-412.